Why do you workout? If you said, “to burn fat, change my body to lean and healthy and keep the weight loss off,” that’s a great answer! You will have to build more muscle mass to reach your goals.
You must work hard to change your body. There’s no getting around this fact. I will not deal with eating habits in this article. I’m pretty sure you know that you have to eat the right things (most of the time) to change your body.
I recommend using these exercises these ways to get the most muscle-build, fat-burn and calorie-burn:
- interval-type rotations (such as 30 seconds to 1 minute exercise, 1 minute walking)
- use 1 exercise as a stand-alone workout (especially full body exercises)
- group 4-5 exercises into a full body strengh workout
- use 2-3 of the bodyweight exercises as a bodyweight cardio session
- use 1 exercise for an interval cardio workout (such as sprints)
Any one of these options will give you a challenging, intense workout. Keep changing it up to avoid boredom, plateaus and repetitive-type injuries. Workout times of 20-30 minutes are enough the get the job done.
Research at Duke University, directed by Dr. Cris Slentz, supports high-intensity exercise for better fat loss. The eight-month study showed that people could lose weight with exercise and no dieting. Those who exercised intensely (especially using interval training) lost much more fat than those who exercised moderately.
According to the research, the high-intensity exercisers had these advantages over the low-to-moderate intensity exercisers:
- more release of fat from cells
- more fat used as fuel during exercise
- increased metabolic rate after exercise
So, here are 12 Muscle-Building, Fat-Burning and Body-Changing Exercises:
1. Bench Press combined with Medicine Ball Chest Pass – Do the bench press on a bench or stability ball, 5-6 repetitions. Follow up the press with 8-10 two-handed medicine ball chest passes at full speed.
2. Dumbbell Squat-Bicep Curl-Shoulder Press – Do this exercise with correct form. This is one of the best full body exercises.
3. Medicine Ball Front Chops or Diagonal Chops – Burn more of the dreaded abdominal fat with the medicine ball front or diagonal chop. This exercise is also a great full body exercise that you can do as a regular strength exercise or full-speed exercise. Because of speed and intensity, full speed exercises help you burn more fat during and after your workout.
4. Jump Rope – Intervals with the jump rope is one of the best body sculptors available. When you get good, do full speed intervals. Also try one foot, alternating feet, slalom, etc.
5. Clock Lunges – Clock lunges work your body in all planes of motion. Lunge with your right leg at 12 o’clock, 2 o’clock, 3 o’clock, 5 o’clock and 6 o’clock. That’s 1 repetition for your right leg. Lunge with your left leg at 12 o’clock, 10 o’clock, 9 o’clock, 7 o’clock and 6 o’clock. That’s 1 repetition for left leg. Maintain upright posture throughout to improve core strength.
6. Steps Ups with Knee Lift – The step up is one of the best exercises to strengthen your glutes and tone your leg muscles. Weakness in the gluteus medius can result in knee and back injuries. Weakness in the gluteus medius also contributes to instability when you walk, run and jump.
7. Overhead Barbell or Dumbbell Squats – Do this squat holding the barbell or dumbbells with straight arms overhead. Keep your torso upright throughout the exercise. Start with lighter weights if needed. Its important to do this exercise correctly to avoid injuries.
8. Pullups combined with Triceps Dips on Bars – I am including this pair as one superset. You must include bodyweight pullups in your exercise routine! The pullup is one of the best exercises you should be doing!
If you haven’t done a pullup since grade school, you need to bring the pullup out of your workout closet! If you can’t do any, start doing 1 pullup and progress (assisted pullup machine or a spotter are also options).
The pullup is not just a back muscle exercise. Pullups work your lats (and other back muscles), core, shoulders, arms, chest, biceps and improve grip strength.
With triceps dips on bars, keep your hands by your side and don’t lean forward when doing the exercise. Your core will also get work during this exercise. Add weight to increase difficulty when needed.
9. Bulgarian Split Squat-Bicep Curl-Shoulder Press – This is a great combination exercise. The bulgarian split squat is one of the best exercises out there (and tougher to do than you think). It builds strength (including core strength) and stabilizes the legs and hips. It is important to perform the exercise with upright torso.
Descend into the squat until your front leg is parallel to the floor. In this position, do the curl and shoulder press. That’s one repetition.
10. Sprints- This is one of the best ways to do your interval cardio. You can sprint on grass, inclines, stadium steps or with a vest. Just make it progressively tougher. Doing 20-minute interval sessions will spare your muscle mass and max out fat burn.
11. Barbell or Dumbbell Squats combined with Squat Jumps – Do a set of 5-6 squats and follow it immediately with 8-10 full speed squat jumps.
12. Dumbbell Squats with Bentover Rows – Do the squat and immediately follow it with the row. Squats are proven musclebuilders and fatburners. If you’re trying to build up back muscles and burn back fat, bentover dumbbells rows should be in your routine.
Bentover dumbbell rows allow you to work your lats using heavier weights. Your lower back will be worked more if you row with both arms at the same time. You will also work your obliques in the process.
Go to work and start changing your body…..
Download your Free 10-Day Curves and Abs Fat Burn and start shaping your body faster!
Mark has helped thousands of clients and readers make lifestyle changes that lead to better long-term health, which includes acceptable body fat and ideal body weight.He does not recommend fad diets, quick weight loss gimmicks, starvation diets, weight loss pills, fat burner supplements and the like.
Latest posts by Mark Dilworth - Her Fitness Hut (see all)
- 7 Ways Testosterone Improves Womens’ Quality of Life - June 18, 2018
- 10 Tips to Lose Weight and Shape Your Curves - February 14, 2018
- Top Exercise for Faster Weight Loss Transformation - January 17, 2018