I hope you’re not a long-time user of quick weight loss diets. If you are, you might find yourself struggling with some of these habits listed below. You end up having what you’re trying to avoid–weight gain.
If you’ve never tried a quick weight loss diet, you’re not missing anything except misery. Food is meant to nourish and energize your body and it should be enjoyed in the right portions.
Here are 7 signs that you just want quick weight loss using various starvation or fad diets:
1. You never make a commitment to a lifetime of fitness and health. You are too concerned with pounds on the weigh scale. Those who have succeeded at transforming their bodies from fat to lean have health and fitness practices that they do on most days. It becomes a sustainable lifestyle.
2. You try one quick weight loss diet after another, always looking for the next new diet. The less food you eat, the more weight you’ll lose, right? Sorry, but it just doesn’t work that way in the long-run. If your idea of the perfect diet plan for weight loss is eating less and starving, you’re headed for disaster.
Starvation slows the fat-burning process. Your body relies on the nutrients in whole, natural foods for fuel. When you starve yourself for as little as 7 days, your body senses the downward shift in your caloric intake and kicks into starvation mode. When this happens, your metabolism will slow down and your body will hold on to stored fat in order to conserve energy.
Muscle mass needs more energy to function than fat. Basically, the more muscle mass you have, the more calories you’ll burn. If you continue to starve yourself, your body will feed on your muscle tissue and make it even harder for you to lose weight.
Obviously, if you starve yourself long enough, you’ll have no choice but to lose weight. But the weight loss won’t be healthy, and it will show in your appearance.
The weight lost from quick weight loss diets almost always comes back. As soon as you start eating normally again, you’ll regain all of the weight you lost, and more.
3. Chronic quick weight loss dieters end up with damaged health. If you are eating 900 calories a day, that is not enough food to even support your basal metabolic rate.
When you go without adequate food intake for too long, you don’t get enough of the essential nutrients needed for good health. This can result in fatigue, kidney failure, heart failure, gallstones, ulcers, hair loss, muscle weakness and osteoporosis. This is just a short list of the physical problems a starvation diet can cause. I haven’t even touched on the mental stuff.
It’s not uncommon for extremely calorie-restrictive dieters to struggle with depression, anger, indifference, memory loss, poor concentration, hallucinations and mood swings. Starvation can also increase your chances of suffering with eating disorders like bulimia and anorexia.
4. Quick weight loss dieters experience weight loss and weight regain many times.
According to a Medicinenet.com article, “Weight Cycling…Facts About “Yo-Yo” Dieting,”
“Weight cycling is the repeated loss and regain of body weight. When weight cycling is the result of dieting, it is often called “yo-yo” dieting. A weight cycle can range from small weight losses and gains (5-10 lbs. per cycle) to large changes in weight (50 lbs. or more per cycle).”
“Some research links weight cycling with certain health risks. To avoid potential risks, most experts recommend that obese adults adopt healthy eating and regular physical activity habits to achieve and maintain a healthier weight for life. Non-obese adults should try to maintain their weight through healthy eating and regular physical activity.”
“Some studies suggest that weight cycling may increase the risk for certain health problems. These include high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and gallbladder disease.”
5. Quick weight loss dieters are not concerned with burning body fat. You MUST change your body’s composition. You must increase muscle mass to become a “fat-burning machine.” This keeps the weight off your body for good. You don’t need to be a body builder but you need to replace the fat (to an acceptable body fat percentage) on your body with muscle mass. This will give you the lean, healthy body you need.
You must do more than cardio exercise to change your body’s composition. “Cardio only” will not lean out your body. Too much cardio will waste away your muscle mass.
Make a commitment to full-body strength training. Among other things, it builds muscle mass, speeds up your metabolism (the body has to work harder to maintain muscle) and helps improve your bone density. And, you’ll look great.
6. There are many lies about fat loss and weight loss put out there by profit-motivated businesses—and many people believe them.
Quick weight loss dieters are always looking for the next pill, diet or fat blocker to change their bodies. The dream never comes true. Doctors, dieticians, and fitness experts agree that the best way to burn fat and lose weight is to eat higher quality calories, exercise regularly and increase your daily activity. Don’t look for shortcuts.
7. Quick weight loss dieters lose water weight and muscle mass. Burn body fat and lose weight.
If you lose 20 pounds in 10 days using severe calorie restriction with no exercise (you probably won’t have the energy to exercise), just about all of that weight loss will be due to lost muscle mass and water weight.
The problem is further compounded if you gained weight without exercise. The composition of this weight gain is mainly fat and water retention. I have seen individuals with up to 70% body fat.
Stop starving yourself with quick weight loss diets, start eating right and start building your body the right way. You’re worth the effort.
Start your FREE 10-Day Curves and Abs Jumpstart today!
Mark has helped thousands of clients and readers make lifestyle changes that lead to better long-term health, which includes acceptable body fat and ideal body weight.He does not recommend fad diets, quick weight loss gimmicks, starvation diets, weight loss pills, fat burner supplements and the like.
Latest posts by Mark Dilworth - Her Fitness Hut (see all)
- 7 Ways Testosterone Improves Womens’ Quality of Life - June 18, 2018
- 10 Tips to Lose Weight and Shape Your Curves - February 14, 2018
- Top Exercise for Faster Weight Loss Transformation - January 17, 2018