I have more than one friend who has developed Plantar Fasciitis while training for a marathon. Plantar Fasciitis is a common, painful injury that can go on for months. Plantar Fasciitis happens when the long, flat ligament on the bottom of your foot (Plantar Fascia) stretches too much, small tears develop and the ligament inflames (ouch!!)! Folks, this is serious pain!
Plantar Fasciitis usually develops over time. Many times, people continue to exercise when the condition first occurs. So, the condition worsens causing you to see you local doctor. As with all injuries, prevention is the best solution. WHENEVER YOU FEEL PAIN, IT IS A SIGN THAT SOMETHING IS WRONG! DON’T IGNORE IT!
Repetitive stress injuries like Plantar Fasciitis, runner’s knee, shin splints and Achilles tendinitis can be prevented with proper training.
Take these 5 steps to avoid Plantar Fasciitis:
1) Keep your foot and ankle area flexible (including the Achilles tendon). Also, don’t wear cheap or worn out shoes when you workout.
2) Vary your running workouts to avoid repetitive type injuries.
3) A sudden increase in the intensity or length of your workouts can cause injury.
4) Bad running mechanics (foot strike on the ground) can cause injury.
5) Repetitive running or walking on steep inclines or hills can bring on injury.
If you develop Plantar Fasciitis, try these steps and try to avoid the doctor’s office:
1) Stop exercising or cut down your activity. Stretch and massage the calf area.
2) A better pair of shoes (with heel and arch support) could be the answer. A heel cup might also help.
3) Ice the inflamed area.
No pain, no gain is a myth! Pain during exercise is a signal that something is wrong!
Mark Dilworth, BA, PES
Mark has helped thousands of clients and readers make lifestyle changes that lead to better long-term health, which includes acceptable body fat and ideal body weight.He does not recommend fad diets, quick weight loss gimmicks, starvation diets, weight loss pills, fat burner supplements and the like.
Latest posts by Mark Dilworth - Her Fitness Hut (see all)
- 7 Ways Testosterone Improves Womens’ Quality of Life - June 18, 2018
- 10 Tips to Lose Weight and Shape Your Curves - February 14, 2018
- Top Exercise for Faster Weight Loss Transformation - January 17, 2018