Don’t go on a diet, change your eating habits step by step….make lifestyle changes and your life will change.
After 100 years of weight loss history, doctors and fitness professionals agree that the best solution for fat loss and weight loss is proper nutrition and regular exercise. Maybe that’s too simple for some…there has to be more to it, right? No, not really……
Be consistent with your body-changing exercise and nutrition program…this will always lead you to success without spending tons of cash on ineffective weight loss products.
Don’t look for shortcuts….
Here are 10 Tips to NOT Diet while Changing Your Eating Habits:
1. Make a commitment to a lifetime of fitness and health. Don’t focus on pounds on the weigh scale. Those who have succeeded at transforming their bodies from fat to lean have health and fitness practices that they do on most days. It becomes a sustainable lifestyle.
2. Add healthy foods to your menu that you like. You are more likely to stay with a menu loaded with whole, natural foods you like. Get rid of the foods that are bad for you, even if you have to take baby steps.
Whole natural foods have one ingredient–the food itself. Eat foods as close to their natural state as possible. So, a baked potato is more healthy than french fries. And, we could add foods like nuts, brown rice, fish, lean meats, etc. That eliminates foods in a box or bag, fast foods, fried foods, sugary foods and processed foods.
Whole, natural foods help you eat nutritiously with less calories.
Try to comply with your meal plan 90% of the time. This leaves plenty of room to enjoy some goodies. Your food journal will help hold you accountable during the day. If you plan and pack your meals, you will be more successful with your fat loss and weight loss program.
3. You don’t have to strictly count calories but you do need to have a good idea of how much food you need daily to reach your goals. Set your daily calorie intake based on your basal metabolic rate, your activity level and your goals. This way, you won’t eat too much or too little. Maintaining the right amount of calorie deficit (burning more calories than you consume) on most days is the key to burning fat and losing weight.
Your body’s metabolism needs all 3 macronutrients (carbs, protein, fats) to work efficiently.
Eating fast-digesting carbs immediately before or after your workout will not spike your blood sugar levels. Your body uses carbs for intense weight training and interval cardio.
4. Eat protein with every meal. Research has proven that protein keeps blood sugar levels more steady when you have a meal that includes carbohydrates. Protein helps you feel fuller for a longer period (slower digestion). Protein also keeps the hunger hormone (ghrelin) in check so your hunger doesn’t spike so high. Just include protein foods with each meal.
Here are some good sources of protein:
–Fish, lean chicken (skinless), lean grass-fed beef, lean turkey
–Low-fat dairy: milk, cheeses, yogurts
–Eggs from free-range chickens
–Beans, peas, lentils
–Seeds, nuts, natural nut butters
Drinking a fast-digesting whey protein drink before and after your weight training workout helps your body repair and rebuild your muscles.
5. Eat more fiber for your overall health and body fat reduction. Your body cannot digest fiber and there are two forms:
–Soluble fiber dissolves in water and produces a gel-like substance in your stomach. This substance helps digested food move slowly through the small intestine and slows down food absorption and release of nutrients into the bloodstream. Soluble fiber also limits the amount of cholesterol released into the blood. Oats are high in soluble fiber.
–Insoluble fiber cannot be broken down once entering the stomach and increases in size by absorbing water. This type of fiber speeds up foods absorption once it enters into the small intestine. Insoluble fiber cleans your system as it travels through your body.
Eat both types of fiber to help you feel fuller for longer and to help stabilize blood sugar levels. Eating 25-35 grams of daily fiber per day will help fight belly fat. Fruits and vegetables have both types of fiber.
6. Eating healthy fats keep you fuller for longer which will help you eat less during the day. Fats, with 9 calories per gram, are the most dense food you can eat. Aim for about 20% of your calories coming from sources such as salmon, sardines, omega 3 eggs, olive oil, coconut oil and avocados.
7. Eat your calories. Drinking sugary drinks can really pack on the pounds quickly. Drink water and unsweetened drinks like tea for your fluids. Empty calories from sugary drinks do very little to keep you full (satiety) and you end up wanting and eating more.
8. Eat one serving of food on a plate. Don’t graze or eat haphazardly. This will help you with food portion control. Make your snacks consist of foods like fresh fruits/veggies or a handful of raw nuts. Eating haphazardly will put tons of calories in your belly.
9. Don’t go too long on an empty stomach. Eat every 3-4 hours to avoid overeating when you do eat. This will help you maintain energy during the day and keep your metabolism active. And, never go to the grocery store on an empty stomach. Buy foods on your grocery list.
10. Drink plenty of water, every day. Somehow, its not easy to drink enough water every day. About 2/3 of your body is water. Drink about half your weight in water every day. So, if you weigh 160 pounds, drink 80 ounces of water each day. Drinking water can help you eat less.
Foods that contain large amounts of water count towards your water consumption. For instance watermelon is about 90% water and lettuce has about 95% water. Some meats contain as much as 70% water.
Water also helps your body flex muscles, remove wastes, cushion joints, carry nutrients and oxygen to your cells and helps convert food into energy (although water doesn’t provide energy).
Mark has helped thousands of clients and readers make lifestyle changes that lead to better long-term health, which includes acceptable body fat and ideal body weight.He does not recommend fad diets, quick weight loss gimmicks, starvation diets, weight loss pills, fat burner supplements and the like.
Latest posts by Mark Dilworth - Her Fitness Hut (see all)
- 7 Ways Testosterone Improves Womens’ Quality of Life - June 18, 2018
- 10 Tips to Lose Weight and Shape Your Curves - February 14, 2018
- Top Exercise for Faster Weight Loss Transformation - January 17, 2018